Friday, July 8, 2011

Gym Shoes!

I've got to admit, shopping for gym shoes can be challenging.  There are so many brands and styles to choose from that it can be overwhelming. 
Here are a few tips that I have to make it a little less painful:
1.  Find brands you like and stick with it.  My favorite brands are Saucony and Avia because they fit my feet well.  New Balance has cute styles but they don't fit well on me so I don't bother.  This helps narrow it down!
2.  Walmart and store brands are great for lots of things, but I don't recommend it for workout shoes.  It's worth the investment in decent shoes because it affects your feet and knees and you'll go through them so quickly that you'll have wished you'd gotten better shoes in the first place.
3.  Look for sales!  You don't need to purchase the new style $150 shoes to get a decent pair.  Outlet stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx sell name brand shoes for less.
4.  My (humble) opinion is that shoes do not need to be "broken in."  If they are uncomfortable in the store, don't buy them.
5.  This may seem obvious, but bring a pair of socks that you normally wear to the store to try on with the shoes.

What is your favorite brand?
-Jeannine Borasch, MS in Exercise Science & Health Promotion

1 comment:

  1. I ♥ Brooks:) I bought them at Fleet Feet:) They are GREAT there. They will measure your feet and watch you walk to figure out which shoe is best for your feet. You can even test the shoes out on their treatmill before buying them. If you have a high arch (like me), they will measure your arch and put an insert in that works best for you too:) They recommended Nylon running socks instead of cotton.

    ReplyDelete