Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Hate to Exercise.

Ok, I don't anymore, but I used to.  Years ago just the thought of working out made me tired.  After taking care of the kids all day and cooking and cleaning and all the other stuff I had to do, the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym.  My energy hit an all-time low and I was feeling depressed.  I knew that exercise would help, but I just didn't know how to get motivated.  At a conference I heard some advice that for me would be life-changing.  If you like music, only listen to it at the gym.  Books on tape?  Only listen to it at the gym.  TV?  Only watch it while your at the gym.  It could even work for a favorite game you like to play on your phone.  It seemed so simple so I tried it, and you know what?  It worked.  I downloaded some really great songs and only allowed myself to listen to it at the Y.  Pretty soon I was also addicted to the feeling I had on days I worked out.  (The few hours of free childwatch didn't hurt either!)  What could be your motivation?
-Jeannine Borasch, MS in Exercise Science & Health Promotion

No comments:

Post a Comment